Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Default Door hing---stripped screws by construction crew

I set many doors each year and can offer some suggestions. Interior doors
are generally not screwed into the jack studs. They are usually held in
place with finish nails placed in the area of the hinges and through the
areas that have been shimmed. I fasten doors to the jack studs with finish
nails on either side of the jamb at 5 places on each side of the door. Top,
bottom, and just under the 3 hinges are shimmed and nailed (or the
corresponding area across from the hinges). I do not fasten the top jamb to
the header, rather just rely on casing to hold it firm.
Hinge screws only extend into the jamb, however, hinge to jamb and hinge
to door screws often come stripped from the factory. The installer may have
stripped them too, but usually the installer doesn't mess with the hinge
screws on a pre hung door unless they are loose. In either case, adding
longer screws of a similiar finish (2" to 2 1/2" screws are usually long
enough) through the hinge and into the jack stud will hold the door where
you want it.
Most problems you can have with a door can be fixed with just placing a
screw in the right hinge. Don't bother with adjusting the strike unless
absolutely necessary, it's gonna need adjusting again if the problem is not
fixed. --dave

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:1xCOf.601$eJ1.498@trndny05...

One of my interior doors has the top hinge with all the screws more or
less "floating in space". It has caused the door to sag a little. This
seems odd to me, since the other 2 hinges are solid as rocks, and yet
there is enough flex in a door somehow to bend or sag just "enough" to not
close perfectly.

Odd.

In *any* case, I am in need of understanding the *right* way a door should
have been hung: All the parts, what they're supposed to be screwed to, are
the hinge screws supposed to extend into the studs, what parts of the door
frame/jamb/whatever are connected to what.

No one I know is "sure", and I would like to know what /your/ opinion of a
good website or other source is.

I'm checking the other doors in the house, and am (I must be thick) now
wondering if this might worsen or outright /cause/ the strike-plate
repositioning I'm always going through.

--
Sometimes life just sucks, and then you live.