Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Default Hardinge TM backlash adjustment procedure?

"axolotl" wrote in message

Gentlemen,

Can anyone offer a procedure for adjusting the table anti-backlash nuts
on a Hardinge TM?

Thanks,

The bronze nut sets for the Hardinge mill
The "X"&"Y" are 2 sets of nuts .... "X" nut is a two piece R.H.ACME
thread..one part of the nut is set in the cast iron nut housing dimpled with
a 3/16 drill then locked in position by a dog point set set screw ...then
the second part of the nut (backlash adjusting)is screw into the nut housing
then the table lead screw is screwed into the two bronze nuts you finish
assembling the machine...(The "Y" nut is L.H. and it is installed the same
way as the "X" axis.)
Once that is done..you adjust the backlash part of the nut out to eliminate
the excess backlash in the lead screw..
The lead screws are harden ..with the most wear area in the middle section
of travel.. so I adjust the backlash nut tighter on the end section of the
lead screw travel then give a finial adjustment later on, once things take a
set...
This is a very simple repair to perform...and just about taken all the slop
out of the lead screw / dial.
If you are interested you can contact me...
Regards,
Robbie
I copied and pasted this from the Hardinge TM yahoo group. I hope it helps.
It really is a simple adjust, at least for the X axis.

--
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop