Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Jonathan Bryce

Default Compulsory water metering

Adam wrote:

Strangely enough, on the very same day I got the letter from them telling
me I had to have my water metered whether I liked it or not, their Chief
Executive was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about water metering and gave a
categorical assurance that no-one would have to have water metering if
they didn't want it. I phoned the Chief Executive's office to ask about
this apparent inconsistency, and was told that "I was using a very
restrictive definition of the word 'no-one'".

All new houses must have meters, and where you extend a house, you have to
have a meter.

You also need a meter if you want to use a garden sprinkler, or have a
swimming pool.