Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Adam

Default Compulsory water metering

What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory water
metering is not exactly new.

Strangely enough, on the very same day I got the letter from them telling me
I had to have my water metered whether I liked it or not, their Chief
Executive was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about water metering and gave a
categorical assurance that no-one would have to have water metering if they
didn't want it. I phoned the Chief Executive's office to ask about this
apparent inconsistency, and was told that "I was using a very restrictive
definition of the word 'no-one'".

Perhaps this is the first time the policy has been tested in court, but it's
certainly not the first time water metering has been compulsory.

Adam

PS Apologies if this post appears twice. I think my first attempt to post it
vanished into the aether, but I guess it may have just been delayed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Tiddy Ogg

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:01:10 -0000, "Adam" wrote:

What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago.

And it's worked all that time?
Flow meters are not exactly the most reliable of items.

Tiddy Ogg.
http://www.tiddyogg.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Stickems.

Water meters have been compulsory for new builds for a long time.

"Adam" wrote in message
| What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My
water
| company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
| ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory water
| metering is not exactly new.
|
| Strangely enough, on the very same day I got the letter from them telling
me
| I had to have my water metered whether I liked it or not, their Chief
| Executive was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about water metering and gave a
| categorical assurance that no-one would have to have water metering if
they
| didn't want it. I phoned the Chief Executive's office to ask about this
| apparent inconsistency, and was told that "I was using a very restrictive
| definition of the word 'no-one'".
|
| Perhaps this is the first time the policy has been tested in court, but
it's
| certainly not the first time water metering has been compulsory.
|
| Adam
|
| PS Apologies if this post appears twice. I think my first attempt to post
it
| vanished into the aether, but I guess it may have just been delayed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Nick

Tiddy Ogg wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:01:10 -0000, "Adam" wrote:

What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago.

And it's worked all that time?
Flow meters are not exactly the most reliable of items.

Is that right? The four smallest wheels of my water meter go
round OK when someone has a shower, but the ones that measure
whole cubic metres don't go round any more. So my usage is zero
every time the water company reads it. They don't seem to have
noticed. I expect someone will come around and have a look one day.
What is going to really confuse them is that the house next door
has been removed and has correctly had a zero reading for a year.
Now building has started, and I have allowed the builders to use
an old outhouse toilet and handbasin on my property, using a
water pipe over the fence from their metered supply. The water
company are going to assume wrongly that the builder's pipe
supplies my whole house, and that's why my reading is zero. I may
be able to get away with no water bills for another year (apart
from a low supply charge)!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Robert

"The four smallest wheels of my water meter go
round OK when someone has a shower, but the ones that measure
whole cubic metres don't go round any more. So my usage is zero
every time the water company reads it. They don't seem to have
noticed. I expect someone will come around and have a look one day. "

I wonder what your legal position will be when they realise and then
present you with a large backdated estimated bill (or the equivalent
unmetered bill). Since you knowlingly allowed the situation to
continue you might end up worse off than if you get it fixed

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Robert wrote:
"The four smallest wheels of my water meter go
round OK when someone has a shower, but the ones that measure
whole cubic metres don't go round any more. So my usage is zero
every time the water company reads it. They don't seem to have
noticed. I expect someone will come around and have a look one day. "

I wonder what your legal position will be when they realise and then
present you with a large backdated estimated bill (or the equivalent
unmetered bill). Since you knowlingly allowed the situation to
continue you might end up worse off than if you get it fixed

Robert

They probably already have him sussed,its not down to the meter reader to
tell him this, as his job is just to read off the digits. :-)

--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Daytona

"Stickems." wrote:

Water meters have been compulsory for new builds for a long time.

Since when, I wonder ? Since 1996 in my case.

Daytona
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Alan Holmes

"Adam" wrote in message
What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My
water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory water
metering is not exactly new.

About 8 years ago I was asked if I wanted a water meter by Thames Water, I
declined and heard no more about it.

There was no compultion!

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Alan Holmes

"Adam" wrote in message
What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My
water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory water
metering is not exactly new.

I wonder if any of the water compaies have thought of installing meters at
the outlets from the water conditioners before it reaches properties, this
would help them to calculate the amount of water leaking from pipes as they
could work out how much people are using against the amount being pumped
into the distribution system.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Stickems.

Assuming everybody had a meter and all the meters were read on the same day,
it would be possible.

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

| "Adam" wrote in message
| What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My
| water
| company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
| ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory
water
| metering is not exactly new.
|
| I wonder if any of the water compaies have thought of installing meters at
| the outlets from the water conditioners before it reaches properties, this
| would help them to calculate the amount of water leaking from pipes as
they
| could work out how much people are using against the amount being pumped
| into the distribution system.
|
| Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Jonathan Bryce

Adam wrote:

Strangely enough, on the very same day I got the letter from them telling
me I had to have my water metered whether I liked it or not, their Chief
Executive was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about water metering and gave a
categorical assurance that no-one would have to have water metering if
they didn't want it. I phoned the Chief Executive's office to ask about
this apparent inconsistency, and was told that "I was using a very
restrictive definition of the word 'no-one'".

All new houses must have meters, and where you extend a house, you have to
have a meter.

You also need a meter if you want to use a garden sprinkler, or have a
swimming pool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Nick

Robert wrote:

"The four smallest wheels of my water meter go
round OK when someone has a shower, but the ones that measure
whole cubic metres don't go round any more. So my usage is zero
every time the water company reads it. They don't seem to have
noticed. I expect someone will come around and have a look one day. "

I wonder what your legal position will be when they realise and then
present you with a large backdated estimated bill (or the equivalent
unmetered bill). Since you knowlingly allowed the situation to
continue you might end up worse off than if you get it fixed

Yes, I was considering telling them. But it's not really my
problem. The water company installed the meter which is now
faulty. Any sensible computer system should flag zero or negative
readings for attention. The water bills are paid automatically
from my bank account, so I simply glance at the bill and file it
and do nothing else. I am prepared to pay an amount based on my
usage for the last year. I'm just interested to see how long it
will take for them to notice.

If a utilities company has made a mistake, they tend to be
difficult to deal with, so it's best to avoid that.
The meter reader for my power company made a very large mistake
that implied my usage had doubled. Their computer system didn't
flag that either. When I phoned them, they wanted me to supply a
password for ID (when they had never given me one) then they
would not accept my reading and sent someone around to re-read
the meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Gordon

Daytona wrote
"Stickems." wrote:

Water meters have been compulsory for new builds for a long time.

Since when, I wonder ? Since 1996 in my case.

In this area, if you have a meter fitted, you cannot go back to
quarterly billing, and when the house is sold it remains metered.
This could be an adverse situation if a large family were interested in
the purchase, but as I live alone I would certainly save money by having
one installed.

I have heard though, that a more sophisticated and reliable meter will
be available in the not too distant future, so I am uncertain whether to
bother at this time.
--
Gordon Harris
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Nick

Gordon wrote:

Nick wrote

The meter reader for my power company made a very large mistake that
implied my usage had doubled. Their computer system didn't flag that
either.

Uh - was that Powergen by any chance?

The first gas meter reading taken at my g/friend's house after Powergen
contracted out their meter reading to Meter Reading Services Ltd
resulted in a bill which was about 3 times what it should have been.

No, I'm in New Zealand, the land of d-i-y and No. 8 fencing wire
to fix anything. I'm in uk.d-i-y because you guys seem to discuss
lots of problems that I have, or that I have already solved.

In recent years, power and gas utilities in NZ have been
privatised and nobody knows which company caters for who.

A digger cut through a gasline next door and I phoned 5 gas
companies to stop the leak, but they all denied responsibility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Stickems.
wrote:

Water meters have been compulsory for new builds for a long time.

Posting in a coherent manner has been recommended for many years, yet you
still don't have a clue.

--
AJL

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

wrote:

Assuming everybody had a meter and all the meters were read on the same day,
it would be possible.

It's possible for you to post properly, but you don't.

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Daytona

Gordon wrote:

In this area, if you have a meter fitted, you cannot go back to
quarterly billing,

You have six months to change you mind here with Southern Water.

Daytona
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Dave

Gordon wrote:

I have heard though, that a more sophisticated and reliable meter will
be available in the not too distant future, so I am uncertain whether to
bother at this time.

I think that the above would be my big concern.

How accurate, when new, is a water meter and will it stay in calibration
indefinitely?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
Gordon wrote:

I have heard though, that a more sophisticated and reliable meter will be
available in the not too distant future, so I am uncertain whether to
bother at this time.

I think that the above would be my big concern.

How accurate, when new, is a water meter and will it stay in calibration
indefinitely?

Do you worry about that with your gas and electricity meters?

Or your petrol gauge?

Mary

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

How accurate, when new, is a water meter and will it stay in
calibration
indefinitely?

Do you worry about that with your gas and electricity meters?

Yes, and they get replaced from time to time for exactly that reason.

Ours have been replaced once in 43 years.

Would that satisfy you for a water meter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Do you worry about that with your gas and electricity meters?

Yes, and they get replaced from time to time for exactly that reason.

Ours have been replaced once in 43 years.

Really? I'd complain. Our gas meter got changed last year - it was about
a decade old. Not sure how old the leccy meter is though - we've only
been here five years. Bears a sticker "Tested 1989" at which point it
was probably about eighteen years old. I guess it'll get tested again
some time, or replaced with a solid-state one.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King typed

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Do you worry about that with your gas and electricity meters?

Yes, and they get replaced from time to time for exactly that reason.

Ours have been replaced once in 43 years.

Really? I'd complain. Our gas meter got changed last year - it was about
a decade old. Not sure how old the leccy meter is though - we've only
been here five years. Bears a sticker "Tested 1989" at which point it
was probably about eighteen years old. I guess it'll get tested again
some time, or replaced with a solid-state one.

Quite.
Both my gas and electricity meters have been changed within the past year.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
A. Shmendrick

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:01:10 -0000, "Adam" wrote:

What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago. I had no choice in this, which in my view means that compulsory water
metering is not exactly new.

The block of flats where my mother lives had meters installed by
Thames Water several years ago, but they never read the meters and
continue to send out bills based on the ratable value.

Last year, they wrote to my mother asking her if she would like to
have a water meter. She phoned them to say that she already had a
water meter, thank you, and that she would be happy to be billed
accordingly. The call centre person she spoke to refused to believe
my mother and declined her invitation to come and have a look at the
meter.

Regards,
--
David Uri.
(remove VEST to reply)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Gully Foyle

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:52:59 +0000, Jonathan Bryce
wrote:

You also need a meter if you want to use a garden sprinkler, or have a
swimming pool.

Yes, that's what they (the water company) told us too. Anyone like to
quote something other than a water company flyer that backs this up in
law?

I didn't believe them any more than I believed the BG "engineer" (i.e.
salesman) when he told us our boiler was unsafe and would have to be
replaced (this was seven years ago and the boiler is still going
strong and perfectly safe).

--

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
JethroUK©

assume you've never heard of soonest-first method of filing (posting) - it's
been around long before computers have - speak to an administrator (someone
who archives for a living (professionally))

i suspect your newest gas bill can found alllllllllllllllllll the way behind
the old archived ones - good thinking - not!

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Stickems.
wrote:

Assuming everybody had a meter and all the meters were read on the same

day,
it would be possible.

It's possible for you to post properly, but you don't.

--
AJL

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Doctor Drivel

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
assume you've never heard of soonest-first method of filing (posting) -
it's
been around long before computers have - speak to an administrator
(someone
who archives for a living (professionally))

Balls. Usenet convention is bottom posting and always has been, as that is
the way we write, top down. There are countless web page on Useenet
etiquette. If you top post people will not respond to you on Usenet and
many will just killfile you. Look at this group, all bottom post, just go
with the flow. BTW, I have been on Usenet for eons, initially using green
screens.

This top posting crap came in because of useless MS Outlook which puts the
cursor at the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
BTW, I have been on Usenet for eons, initially using green
screens.

I remember you appearing as Adam. What did you call yourself before then?

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Guy King

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

BTW, I have been on Usenet for eons, initially using green
screens.

I remember you appearing as Adam. What did you call yourself before then?

Lucifer?

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

This top posting crap came in because of useless MS Outlook which puts the
cursor at the top.

If you have a stupid reader that puts the cursor at the bottom then the
first thing you have to do is move it to the top to select what you are
going to snip.

It is perfectly logical to start at the top and work down as you pointed
out.

M$ can't be held responsible if stupid people can use their products and it
is they who don't follow the rules.

Not that I agree with the rules regarding top posting or that we shouldn't
use html for posts either.
Its only the users who insist on being traditional (old fashioned) that
think we should restrict the world to using plain *ASCII* text rather than
rich html.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
JethroUK©

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
assume you've never heard of soonest-first method of filing (posting) -
it's
been around long before computers have - speak to an administrator
(someone
who archives for a living (professionally))

Balls. Usenet convention is bottom posting and always has been,

noone can help usenet defying common-sense - rules will always have problems
when they do that

as that is
the way we write, top down.

say - you - with the benefit of limited comprehension - that maybe 'a rule',
but it is certainly not the reason

There are countless web page on Useenet
etiquette.

rules are for those who lack the intelligence and common-sense to work
without them - i can prove this without contradiction

If you top post people will not respond to you on Usenet and
many will just killfile you.

more fool them - then they wont be able to benefit from my wisdom

secondly - no one ever kill-files - they just say so - curiosity is
toooooooooooooo powerful

Look at this group, all bottom post, just go
with the flow. BTW, I have been on Usenet for eons, initially using green
screens.

you can use 'green screens' now - so what are you saying exactly?

This top posting crap came in because of useless MS Outlook which puts the
cursor at the top.

yet another case of you putting 2 & 2 together and making 5 - email clients
(not just outlook) put the cursor at the top for a very good reason - the
fact that it hasn't dawned on you cant be helped - i suggest you stick to
rules

Fact - You file your new gas bill behind alllllllllllllllllll your old
(archived) gas bills - i know this to be so, in fact i am so confident that
i will shoot myself in the head if it isn't so - based on 'your'
confirmation

before computers were even invented, professional filing was (still-is)
current-most-first - current information (the latest news) is filed in
front of the old news - 'archives' are kept immediately behind from the most
current to the least current

i'd like to say for obvious reasons but i fear it eludes you - however,
rather than explain the reasons i have decided to let you 'think' about the
benefits before i tell you

this method of handling news could not be transfered to paper until the
advent of computers - but now it can - and has been - by all email clients -
i dread to imagine what your email responses look like - i fear you will be
fighting a losing battle with the rest of your colleagues whilst you
pontificate your misguided conclusions

'the' reason for posting in-line is where you need to address specific
points (as opposed to the post as a whole) - so it is also common-sense that
the reply by within the vicinity of the point it is addressing

Posted to uk.finance,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:49:45 UTC, "JethroUKŒ?" wrote:

Fact - You file your new gas bill behind alllllllllllllllllll your old
(archived) gas bills - i know this to be so, in fact i am so confident that
i will shoot myself in the head if it isn't so - based on 'your'
confirmation

Exactly, facing towards me, so that if I lift the pile out, the oldest
is on the top.

before computers were even invented, professional filing was (still-is)
current-most-first - current information (the latest news) is filed in
front of the old news - 'archives' are kept immediately behind from the most
current to the least current

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Not that I agree with the rules regarding top posting or that we
shouldn't use html for posts either. Its only the users who insist on
being traditional (old fashioned) that think we should restrict the
world to using plain *ASCII* text rather than rich html.

If you gave a tiny bit of thought about the storage needed for HTLM
against plain text on the news servers - and want it to remain a free
service - you'd have your answer.

Also, it's designed to be a service for all the world, and not everyone
has 'free' broadband connection.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
John Cartmell

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
assume you've never heard of soonest-first method of filing (posting) -
it's
been around long before computers have - speak to an administrator
(someone
who archives for a living (professionally))

Balls. Usenet convention is bottom posting and always has been, as that is
the way we write, top down. There are countless web page on Useenet
etiquette.

The news.newusers.questions FAQ http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html
How to post to uk news groups http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html
Proper quoting style explained http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Gully Foyle

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:59:22 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

This top posting crap came in because of useless MS Outlook which puts the
cursor at the top.

Firstly, MS Outlook is an email program and cannot be used for Usenet.
I assume you are talking about Outlook Express.

Secondly, Agent (which I use) places the cursor at the top as well.

Thirdly, the correct place for the cursor is at the top, not the
bottom - this allows judicious snipping of irrelevant stuff and the
interjection of comments. I would expect all good newsreaders (and
some rubbish ones) to place the cursor at the top.

Fourthly, top posters are mostly stupid, ignorant, young or a
combination of all three. Their posts are also so rarely worth reading
that it's not worth worth bothering about any of them.

--

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
dennis@home

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Not that I agree with the rules regarding top posting or that we
shouldn't use html for posts either. Its only the users who insist on
being traditional (old fashioned) that think we should restrict the
world to using plain *ASCII* text rather than rich html.

If you gave a tiny bit of thought about the storage needed for HTLM
against plain text on the news servers - and want it to remain a free
service - you'd have your answer.

Also, it's designed to be a service for all the world, and not everyone
has 'free' broadband connection.

Html *is* text and doesn't take up a vast amount of space.
More is wasted by peoples stupid and pointless sigs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Gordon

"dennis@home" wrote

Html *is* text and doesn't take up a vast amount of space.

Irritating and unnecessary though, innit?

More is wasted by peoples stupid and pointless sigs.

Two wrongs?.....
--
Gordon
Posted to uk.finance,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:43:13 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

If you gave a tiny bit of thought about the storage needed for HTLM
against plain text on the news servers - and want it to remain a free
service - you'd have your answer.

Also, it's designed to be a service for all the world, and not everyone
has 'free' broadband connection.

Html *is* text and doesn't take up a vast amount of space.

It takes up a great deal. Just because the markup is textual, doesn't
make it right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
dennis@home

"Gordon" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote

Html *is* text and doesn't take up a vast amount of space.

Irritating and unnecessary though, innit?

Why is it irritating?
If you have a modern reader it just looks like a news posting the same as
any other.

The only real difference is that it is easier to get the quoting correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Tumbleweed

k...

dennis@home wrote:
Not that I agree with the rules regarding top posting or that we
shouldn't use html for posts either. Its only the users who insist on
being traditional (old fashioned) that think we should restrict the
world to using plain *ASCII* text rather than rich html.

If you gave a tiny bit of thought about the storage needed for HTLM
against plain text on the news servers - and want it to remain a free
service - you'd have your answer.

Also, it's designed to be a service for all the world, and not everyone
has 'free' broadband connection.

Html *is* text and doesn't take up a vast amount of space.
More is wasted by peoples stupid and pointless sigs.

Its not the size that matters (!!), its the viruses and malware that can be
carried in it.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Compulsory water metering Adam UK diy 3 March 2nd 06 10:47 PM
Salt content of softened water Steve B Home Repair 26 January 25th 06 05:06 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM