Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

Default brazing/soldering hard steels

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:51:16 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Leon sez:

" I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here, but I can't
find where this has a true tensile strength of around 14,000
lbs."

Take a look at the tech spec sheet: www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Bob Swinney

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:03:04 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

It probably flows around 500 - 600 degrees. The "coolest" flowing
silver-bearing solder I am familiar with is 96% Tin, 4% Silver. It flows
at
around 430 degrees F. Harris Stay Bright is one commercial version.
Radio
shack has a silver-bearing solder coiled up in a tiny tube (at an
outrageous
per-lb price), also of 96 - 4 formulation. Silver-bearing solders are
best
fluxed with killed hydrochloric acid in paste or liquid form; such as
Harris
Stay Clean. 96-4 has tensile strength of around 14,000 lbs, which should
be
enough for a die filer. The low temps of 96 - 4 make it an attractive
choice when warping is a concern.

Bob Swinney

This Matweb link shows it as having 4640 psi (they don't
list the tensile for 96Sn/4Ag):

http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MLSS94

Other references I have show the various versions
(~95Sn/~5Ag) in the same area. Harris's web site has
"Tensile Strength (Cu to Cu) 14,000 psi" listed, but I read
this as meaning: soldering copper-to-copper. Grant won't be
soldering Cu-to-Cu in this application.

Here is an interesting chart I found a while back:

http://www.indium.com/products/alloy...loy_number.pdf

from this page:

http://www.indium.com/products/alloychart.php

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here. That's why
I'm curious/asking the question...
--

Did you really read my whole post? What Harris has on their
site doesn't match other sites for the same material

http://www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB8.pdf

"Tensile Strength ( Cu to Cu) 14,000 psi
Shear Strength ( Cu to Cu) 10,600 psi"

Which is worded differently than your link to
HARRIS STAY BRITE SILVER BEARING SOLDER at:

http://www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Other than one has maybe 2% more silver and proportionately
less tin they are the same.

I find it odd that neither Matweb nor Indium show anywhere
near this kind of tensile strength for the same values.

Indium shows their ID# 121 as 96.5%Sn/3.5% Ag as having a
tensile of 5800 psi and shear of 2700 psi. These are similar
to those at Matweb. It seems strange to me that the values
are so far apart for the same basic compositions (shrug).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b