Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default brazing/soldering hard steels

I have a little die filer I've been meaning to fix up. Its fixed jaw is scarred
up, soft, and no longer holds a machine file parallel with the shaft. I had
planned to mill a jaw insert from tool steel, harden the insert, and superglue
it to the existing fixed jaw (milled away to true it up) but I don't believe
superglue will really work and I don't want to go monkeying around with
high-tech glues for a tiny job.

I figure the best way to attach a hardened jaw insert is to braze it or
silver-solder it. However, the heat of brazing or soldering would certainly play
havoc with the heat treating. The little jaw insert will only be about 1/2" by
1" by 1/8" or probably a bit thinner. What if I used air hardening steel, and
just let the brazing heat do the heat treating?

Can't quite figure out how to do this.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:30:36 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I have a little die filer I've been meaning to fix up. Its fixed jaw is scarred
up, soft, and no longer holds a machine file parallel with the shaft. I had
planned to mill a jaw insert from tool steel, harden the insert, and superglue
it to the existing fixed jaw (milled away to true it up) but I don't believe
superglue will really work and I don't want to go monkeying around with
high-tech glues for a tiny job.

I figure the best way to attach a hardened jaw insert is to braze it or
silver-solder it. However, the heat of brazing or soldering would certainly play
havoc with the heat treating. The little jaw insert will only be about 1/2" by
1" by 1/8" or probably a bit thinner. What if I used air hardening steel, and
just let the brazing heat do the heat treating?

Can't quite figure out how to do this.

GWE

One way would be to use HSS. You'd probably need to grind rather
than mill the shape. One source of stock might be a 1/8" slitting
saw. You can cut this stuff with a dremel, and you can silverbraze
HSS without affecting its properties noticably.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) What if I used air hardening steel, and just
let the brazing heat do the heat treating?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your air-hardening strip will not cool as fast as it would in air. Remember
it will be in intimate contact with the vise jaw, which will also be heated
to brazing temperature.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could use some 15-5 ph stainless.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

A2 needs to be hardened by going up to 1775F, then tempered at various
temps up to 1000F, (first peak is at 500F but that is too low). Can you
silver solder it at something like 800F or less?

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a little die filer I've been meaning to fix up. Its fixed jaw is
scarred up, soft, and no longer holds a machine file parallel with the
shaft. I had planned to mill a jaw insert from tool steel, harden the
insert, and superglue it to the existing fixed jaw (milled away to true
it up) but I don't believe superglue will really work and I don't want
to go monkeying around with high-tech glues for a tiny job.

I figure the best way to attach a hardened jaw insert is to braze it or
silver-solder it. However, the heat of brazing or soldering would
certainly play havoc with the heat treating. The little jaw insert will
only be about 1/2" by 1" by 1/8" or probably a bit thinner. What if I
used air hardening steel, and just let the brazing heat do the heat
treating?

Can't quite figure out how to do this.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article t, RoyJ says...

A2 needs to be hardened by going up to 1775F, then tempered at various
temps up to 1000F, (first peak is at 500F but that is too low). Can you
silver solder it at something like 800F or less?

Silver-bearing soft solder, Eutectic 151. Not as good as real
silver solder but has about three times the tensile strength
of lead-tin. Flows below 800F.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

jim rozen wrote:

In article t, RoyJ says...

A2 needs to be hardened by going up to 1775F, then tempered at various
temps up to 1000F, (first peak is at 500F but that is too low). Can you
silver solder it at something like 800F or less?

Silver-bearing soft solder, Eutectic 151. Not as good as real
silver solder but has about three times the tensile strength
of lead-tin. Flows below 800F.

Even soft solder would likely be strong enough in this application. Were I to
try this, I'd get a piece of A2, mill it oversize, harden and temper it, then
grind it to final size and only then solder it in place. I need to write down
the melting temps of brazing rod, 45% silver solder, and plumbers solder, can
never remember those.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

It probably flows around 500 - 600 degrees. The "coolest" flowing
silver-bearing solder I am familiar with is 96% Tin, 4% Silver. It flows at
around 430 degrees F. Harris Stay Bright is one commercial version. Radio
shack has a silver-bearing solder coiled up in a tiny tube (at an outrageous
per-lb price), also of 96 - 4 formulation. Silver-bearing solders are best
fluxed with killed hydrochloric acid in paste or liquid form; such as Harris
Stay Clean. 96-4 has tensile strength of around 14,000 lbs, which should be
enough for a die filer. The low temps of 96 - 4 make it an attractive
choice when warping is a concern.

Bob Swinney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article t, RoyJ
says...

A2 needs to be hardened by going up to 1775F, then tempered at various
temps up to 1000F, (first peak is at 500F but that is too low). Can you
silver solder it at something like 800F or less?

Silver-bearing soft solder, Eutectic 151. Not as good as real
silver solder but has about three times the tensile strength
of lead-tin. Flows below 800F.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:03:04 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

It probably flows around 500 - 600 degrees. The "coolest" flowing
silver-bearing solder I am familiar with is 96% Tin, 4% Silver. It flows at
around 430 degrees F. Harris Stay Bright is one commercial version. Radio
shack has a silver-bearing solder coiled up in a tiny tube (at an outrageous
per-lb price), also of 96 - 4 formulation. Silver-bearing solders are best
fluxed with killed hydrochloric acid in paste or liquid form; such as Harris
Stay Clean. 96-4 has tensile strength of around 14,000 lbs, which should be
enough for a die filer. The low temps of 96 - 4 make it an attractive
choice when warping is a concern.

Bob Swinney

I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here, but I can't
find where this has a true tensile strength of around 14,000
lbs.

This Matweb link shows it as having 4640 psi (they don't
list the tensile for 96Sn/4Ag):

http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MLSS94

Other references I have show the various versions
(~95Sn/~5Ag) in the same area. Harris's web site has
"Tensile Strength (Cu to Cu) 14,000 psi" listed, but I read
this as meaning: soldering copper-to-copper. Grant won't be
soldering Cu-to-Cu in this application.

Here is an interesting chart I found a while back:

http://www.indium.com/products/alloy...loy_number.pdf

from this page:

http://www.indium.com/products/alloychart.php

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here. That's why
I'm curious/asking the question...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Leon sez:

" I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here, but I can't
find where this has a true tensile strength of around 14,000
lbs."

Take a look at the tech spec sheet: www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:51:16 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Leon sez:

" I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here, but I can't
find where this has a true tensile strength of around 14,000
lbs."

Take a look at the tech spec sheet: www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Bob Swinney

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Did you really read my whole post? What Harris has on their
site doesn't match other sites for the same material
composition. Look at how HARRIS STAY BRITE #8 SILVER BEARING
SOLDER puts it:

http://www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB8.pdf

"Tensile Strength ( Cu to Cu) 14,000 psi
Shear Strength ( Cu to Cu) 10,600 psi"

Which is worded differently than your link to
HARRIS STAY BRITE SILVER BEARING SOLDER at:

http://www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Other than one has maybe 2% more silver and proportionately
less tin they are the same.

I find it odd that neither Matweb nor Indium show anywhere
near this kind of tensile strength for the same values.

Indium shows their ID# 121 as 96.5%Sn/3.5% Ag as having a
tensile of 5800 psi and shear of 2700 psi. These are similar
to those at Matweb. It seems strange to me that the values
are so far apart for the same basic compositions (shrug).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Leon,

The Matweb link showed a product that had other constituents in it rather
than just tin and silver. I suppose that had something to do with the
difference in tensile strengths.

Bob Swinney
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:51:16 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Leon sez:

" I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here, but I can't
find where this has a true tensile strength of around 14,000
lbs."

Take a look at the tech spec sheet: www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Bob Swinney

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:51:16 -0600, "Robert Swinney"

Leon sez:

wrote:

[...]

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:31:16 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Leon,

The Matweb link showed a product that had other constituents in it rather
than just tin and silver. I suppose that had something to do with the
difference in tensile strengths.

Hi Bob,

The other constituents are common at Matweb. If you notice
they are in trivial amounts. There will always be impurities
involved, it just happens to be listed here.

Take a look at the Indium link:

http://www.indium.com/products/alloy...loy_number.pdf

Their product number 121.

It is almost identical to the Matweb version and Harris
Silver solder. It is much closer to the values that Matweb
has. Indium lists other flavors too, not all of them have
values for tensile strength though. But the ones that do
have with similar compositions are no where near 14,000 psi.

I get the impression that Harris is claiming a tensile
strength of 14,000 psi when used for copper-to-copper
soldering. If that is so, what would it be for say
stainless-to-stainless, or steel-to-steel? At what thickness
of filler material? A thick solder job with poor
surface-to-surface contact would have a much lower tensile
strength maybe?

Maybe Matweb does have a clue:

"32 MPa 4640 psi

Cast solder aged 14 days. Typical Cu joint is 97 MPa."

It appears that they measure the solder itself at 4640 psi
and a typical copper joint at 14068.69 psi(converted from
97MPa).

See once again:

http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MLSS94

So what would it be for Grant's application, which sure
isn't a copper joint...

More food for thought, Matweb shows this for good old
63Sn/37Pb:

"Tensile Strength, Ultimate 52 MPa 7540 psi
Cast solder. Typical Cu joint is 200 MPa."

Which would convert to 29,000 psi copper joint typical.

See:

http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MLSS63

Interesting stuff, I just wish I would have known about all
these different flavors of solder years ago when I could
have put them to good use. Ain't no fun getting old...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

There can be and usually is a difference between joint strength and
bulk properties of the solder itself. A good joint is usually
stronger than the solder with which it was made. This is because the
process of soldering involves some dissolution of the base metals
(like sugar melts in water) to form an intermediate alloy. The
matweb cite lists the properties of the solder itself, while Harris is
citing the strength of test joints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Ping Don Foreman - Silver Solder Guru if ever there was one . . . .

Don, You want to jump in here? I've bombed out trying to differentiate
strength claims among various silver solder vendors.

Bob Swinney

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:51:16 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Leon sez:

" I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here, but I can't
find where this has a true tensile strength of around 14,000
lbs."

Take a look at the tech spec sheet:
www.jwharris.com/images/pdf2/SB.pdf

Bob Swinney

m...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

wrote:

[...]

Hi Don,

Thanks, that makes sense and I kind of suspected as much. So
is there anyway you can tell what the strength would be in
Grant's application? I suspect that this would vary widely
depending on the base materials. Notice too that one of my
other posts shows that good old 63Sn/37Pb beats this silver
solder in question by a long shot in copper joint tensile
strength.

We always used the silver versions at work for better
electrical conductivity. I couldn't see/tell where it made
any significant difference in joint strength.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b