Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Lead Free solder

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:57:19 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Should I buy a stock of 'proper' solder for my future plumbing needs

before the
stuff with lead in it gets banned?

I've never used leaded solder in plumbing. Lead free is superior in that it
don't turn your children into retards. There is no reason whatsoever to use
leaded solder. Perhaps you just have a poor torch (i.e. a paint stripping
type Taymar) that isn't suitable for plumbing.

Lead free is inferior in that it when subjected to heat cycling in use
cracks develop. It also needs significantly higher temperatures to
melt and also has a longer setting time compared to leaded solders.

The amount of lead uptake from a typical household water system joined
with lead containing solder is so small as to be totally
insignificant. You'd die of dihydrogen monoxide (Hydrogen hydroxide)
poisoning before the lead caused any damage.

Leaded pipes in soft water areas are where the real risk lies.