Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

"Upscale" wrote in message
wrote in message
shop someone trips and falls on the machine. I will then post this
thread so you can remember that you don't need additional protection,
and if you or yours did something to yourself by accident, you may have
deserved it.

I was thinking of an accident happening through no fault of your own. The
dog comes in and brushes against your leg distracting you. Something falls
off a shelf startling you. A power failure plunges you into darkness and
you
slip against the still spinning blade in the dark.

Ahh. The words that come from an open mind. Not getting hurt using a TS and
proper technique is the easy part. It's the untontrollable variables that
come into play that cause accidents.

The more I read about this, the more I'm thinking a Sawstop is a pretty
good
idea, especially considering that I work from an awkward height ~ sitting
in
a wheelchair. But, for me anyway, it's way out of my financial reach.
Besides, if I cut off a finger, it won't cost me anything up front, except
lot of pain and cursing. One advantage anyway, of our Canadian medical
system.

Perhaps as production ramps up and or the consumer demands better safety
devices from the companies that are waiting to see what happens with the
SawStop the competitive pricing will make it more affordable to every one.
I cut 1/2 my thumb off in 1989. My insurance covered a majority of the
expense but I have had to adapt as you have. My accident happened after I
completed the cut and turned the saw off, and began removing the rip fence.
Every one that knew me could not believe that I had an accident. It all
happened so fast and at a time that you would not dream that something like
this could happen. For months I thought that I'd had a kick back but until
I almost had the accident again about 1 year later I never knew what had
happened exactly. I had been into serious woodworking about 10 years.