Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

"Upscale" wrote:

wrote in message
shop someone trips and falls on the machine. I will then post this
thread so you can remember that you don't need additional protection,
and if you or yours did something to yourself by accident, you may have
deserved it.

I was thinking of an accident happening through no fault of your own.

All in how you look at it. You can accept blame for just about
anything--you could have prevented it. But that's the reason to take
all reasonable safety precautions. To me, it's not a question of
whether saw stop is a good idea--it's just whether it is reasonable at
this point.

The
dog comes in and brushes against your leg distracting you.

You fault. Why didn't you have a door closed or barrier up to prevent
this?

Something falls
off a shelf startling you.

You fault. You should stack things more carefully, and anticipate what
might happen if they fall.

A power failure plunges you into darkness and you
slip against the still spinning blade in the dark.

Your fault. You mean you didn't install a backup power supply on your
lighting?

The more I read about this, the more I'm thinking a Sawstop is a pretty good
idea, especially considering that I work from an awkward height ~ sitting in
a wheelchair. But, for me anyway, it's way out of my financial reach.

I'm fully ambulatory, but I feel exactly the same way.