Old Nick

Default Air Compressor Safety?

On 9 Oct 2003 08:32:10 -0700, (Shawn Lin)
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

The tank etc quality is probably watched fairly carefully by "the
authorities". If you are worried about a tank exploding, then don't
cross the road tomorrow.

However, your "4.5 HP" is interesting at $150. Even at 220V that will
draw 15A.

Anyway, take no notice of HP. The only figure you are interested in is
the CFM @ 90-100 PSI. If you can't get hold of that figure then make
sure you can return the machine if it's not big enough. The compressor
you are talking of _should_ be able to do about 4.5 * 2.75 CFM = 12CFM
@ 90-100 PSI. Bet it can't. If it can for $150 then it's something
special.

Don't try to "just sneak in" either. Compressors have all sorts of
fudge in their figures, and so do tools. I have a "12CFM" compressor
that cannot run a "5CFM" air Random Orbital Sander! In actual fact the
compressor is about 7 CFM at 90 PSI (genuine 2.5 HP). I bought another
one like it and between them they just about run the ROS. I was told
that the ROS and like tools should use up to 20CFM comps to run hard
and continuously. The tools are often rated at a strange rating, which
should not be allowed IMO. It is based on occasional use, in a
multi-user shop "So you can add them up to get the compressor size the
shop will need"....yeah right....

Impact wrenches etc are better of course, because they are not often
run continuously. But I have one, of quite reasonable quality. IT's
good for about 450 ft-lb. If I am doing severl tough nuts, I need
either both comps running, or I have to wait often.

I don't have an air compressor yet, I know nothing about them, and
don't know anyone in person that owns one, but I was thinking about
getting one for running an impact wrench, air ratchet wrenches, and
occasional painting.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )