Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Nick

Default Compulsory water metering

Tiddy Ogg wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:01:10 -0000, "Adam" wrote:

What I don't understand is why this is a news story at all in 2006. My water
company, Thames Water, installed a water meter at my house about 8 years
ago.

And it's worked all that time?
Flow meters are not exactly the most reliable of items.

Is that right? The four smallest wheels of my water meter go
round OK when someone has a shower, but the ones that measure
whole cubic metres don't go round any more. So my usage is zero
every time the water company reads it. They don't seem to have
noticed. I expect someone will come around and have a look one day.
What is going to really confuse them is that the house next door
has been removed and has correctly had a zero reading for a year.
Now building has started, and I have allowed the builders to use
an old outhouse toilet and handbasin on my property, using a
water pipe over the fence from their metered supply. The water
company are going to assume wrongly that the builder's pipe
supplies my whole house, and that's why my reading is zero. I may
be able to get away with no water bills for another year (apart
from a low supply charge)!