Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Default Delta TS350 10" Table Saw with 1 HP Motor

Great... guess now I have to get both!!

Just another thing to throw out here in case you're not confused
enough... If you need something for right now while you're saving up a
little more for a good-quality table saw, you might consider a little
bandsaw. Woodcraft has a 10" Rikon for $150, and Craftsman has one
that looks almost identical (except Craftsman is a bad word around
here, and I've not had very good luck with their customer service). My
10" bandsaw is definitely not a heavy-duty tool made to last a
lifetime, but it has served me fairly well, including ripping a
2"x8"x8' white oak board into slats for my mission bed project.
Definitely not as cool or powerful or durable or smooth-cutting as a
good tablesaw, but you might consider doing a project or 2 on something
like this, save up some money, and then get your really nice cabinet
saw assuming you're still addicted to woodworking at that point. Some
here would definitely consider a $150 bandsaw a waste of money or a
"disposable" tool, but some here would also consider a $300 TS a waste
of money.
Of course, no matter what tools you have, you can just plan your
projects around what you have, and add a major tool or so for each
project... (That's worked pretty well for me so far!)
Alternatively, you can also make both cross- and rip-cuts quite
accurately with a handheld circular saw, various jigs, and some
patience - search the archives here for more on that.
Sorry if that just made you more confused or overwhelmed - just have
fun woodworking,
Andy