Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Difference Between Propane and Butane gas bottles?

Newshound wrote:

Not sure I agree. I converted a camping cooker once from butane to
propane (or perhaps the other way round) by changing the jets, but
this didn't have a regulator.

That would have been a high pressure cooker, designed to run straight off a
bottle. Patio heaters are designed to run at 37 mB, using a regulator.

To a first approximation I would expect
propane and butane to burn OK at the same pressure in a patio heater,
although it does depend a bit on the jet and burner design. Suck it
and see.

Butane regulators are a slightly different pressure (I forget what it is -
35?) - but caravan appliances will run happily on either, so I imagine that
a patio heater will work ok on butane as long as the regulator can deliver
sufficient flow to keep up with the 10kW (or whatever) consumption. As I
said in an earlier post, butane is pretty useless this time of year, but ok
for the summer.
--
Cheers,
Roger