Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

Default Difference Between Propane and Butane gas bottles?

"Lobster" wrote in message
htmark98 wrote:
I've been given 2 gas bottles of Butane, now can i use this on my patio
heater and BBQ, the patio heater says only Propane. Havent got my bbq
manual handy yet.

Anyone know if this is safe?

No, at least not without a different regulator (that's normally the bit
which sits on the gas cylinder, and drops the pressure from cylinder
pressure to the low pressure used by the appliance.

Not sure I agree. I converted a camping cooker once from butane to propane
(or perhaps the other way round) by changing the jets, but this didn't have
a regulator. To a first approximation I would expect propane and butane to
burn OK at the same pressure in a patio heater, although it does depend a
bit on the jet and burner design. Suck it and see. It's not going to explode
on you. If the regulator thread fits on the butane bottle the consequences
can't be that bad. The CO level might be a bit different with the wrong gas
but this won't matter as long as it is on a patio, surely? Someone tell me I
am wrong. (the Dennis@home and Guy King threads that show in my reader seem
to belong to a different posting)