Peter Grey

Default Air Compressor Safety?

I wouldn't worry about explosions. I imagine it could happen, but a tank
would have to be very weak in order for it to happen catastrophically.
These tanks aren't pressurized to 3000PSI like a SCUBA tank. It seems much
more likely that you'd just have a leak. I had a blow off valve go out once
and nothing drastic happened; just a very loud whistling sound as 150PSI
bled down (though it scared the hell out of me...).

I've had cheap and expensive compressors and tanks (one that I've had for
twenty years) and they're fine. Just put a dehumidifier inline if you can
to keep the water out of the tank and tools and/or drain the tank
periodically and you'll be fine.

Regards,

Peter

"Shawn Lin" wrote in message
om...
I don't have an air compressor yet, I know nothing about them, and
don't know anyone in person that owns one, but I was thinking about
getting one for running an impact wrench, air ratchet wrenches, and
occasional painting.

After some Google searches, I came across a few threads about air
compressor tanks exploding. It was sometimes caused by corrosion,
sometimes a bad relief valve, or bad pressure switch, or any
combination of the 3. I've also read that bad welds, a weak tank, or
other problems can contribute to a potentially fatal explosion.

I was originally going to buy the Harbor Freight 47065 "4-1/2 HP"
vertical compressor for about $150. It's oil lubed, so I thought it
would be a much better (and cheaper) alternative than picking up a
cheap oil-free compressor from Wal-mart. This would be for light
occasional use anyway, so I'm not too concerned about full cast iron
pumps or belt drive. My other alternative is to drop $400 on an oil
lubed Craftsman or Campbell-Hausfeld.

However, we all know Harbor Freight products are Made In China which
is not a country known for making high-quality products. If I buy a
cheap Chinese compressor, do I risk poor welds on the tank? A weak
tank made with poor grade iron? A pressure relief or pressure switch
that's likely to fail? If I'm risking my life by going cheap, I'd
definitely spend the extra money. If the HF compressor is perfectly
safe, then I'd rather buy it and save the money. Anyone have
experience with the HF compressor? I know compressor tank explosions
are few and far between, but I'm a very safety-oriented person.

Also, a quick question about compressors - when the compressor is not
being used, do most people leave the tank pressurized at all times and
the compressor plugged in, or do most people unplug them and bleed the
pressure out of the tank?

Thanks,

Shawn