Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default brazing/soldering hard steels

A2 needs to be hardened by going up to 1775F, then tempered at various
temps up to 1000F, (first peak is at 500F but that is too low). Can you
silver solder it at something like 800F or less?

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a little die filer I've been meaning to fix up. Its fixed jaw is
scarred up, soft, and no longer holds a machine file parallel with the
shaft. I had planned to mill a jaw insert from tool steel, harden the
insert, and superglue it to the existing fixed jaw (milled away to true
it up) but I don't believe superglue will really work and I don't want
to go monkeying around with high-tech glues for a tiny job.

I figure the best way to attach a hardened jaw insert is to braze it or
silver-solder it. However, the heat of brazing or soldering would
certainly play havoc with the heat treating. The little jaw insert will
only be about 1/2" by 1" by 1/8" or probably a bit thinner. What if I
used air hardening steel, and just let the brazing heat do the heat
treating?

Can't quite figure out how to do this.

GWE