Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

Default Difference Between Propane and Butane gas bottles?

On 28 Feb 2006 14:43:57 -0800, "htmark98"
wrote:

I've been given 2 gas bottles of Butane, now can i use this on my patio
heater and BBQ, the patio heater says only Propane. Havent got my bbq
manual handy yet.

In this weather, butane won't vapourise well enough outdoors to be
useful.

To get it to work at all, you might use the same regulator but you'll
need a different fitting to the cylinder. Propane fittings are female
(bottle side) butane fittings are male (old) or bayonet (most of them).
Converters are rare, and most smaller regulators have their fittings
integral, so it's usual to swap the regulator on the hose.

As to adjustment of the the carburation, then this is the normal problem
of adjusting to avoid CO output. For crude burners (excess air supply)
this is a very insensitive adjustment. For an indoor heater it's more
criticial.

Gas bottle renters only want their own brand back (although the chains
of ownership are complicated now and so they may also take some other
brands that are now part of the same chain). Council dumps will take
bottles if you want rid. They also sell "empties" for a couple of quid,
which is much cheaper than buying a brand new cylinder and paying a
deposit on it.