Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce Boyd

Default need a technique

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I now have a decent abrasive cutoff saw, cuts at 90 and 45 degrees. I want
to make a frame from 2" pipe, 45'ed at the corners. I'm trying to figure
out a clever way to ensure that when I cut the second end it winds up being
parallel to the first cut end. Probably doesn't matter that much, but I've
found that proper cutting seems to really help in controlling welding
distortion, and I'd really like this frame to be flat (i.e. planar).

GWE

Grant

Use a level held verticaly against the already cut face and rotate the pipe
until it
shows plumb. Your next cut should be parallel to the first cut. You could
probably
eyeball it with a straight edge the same way but the level will tell you for
sure.

Bruce