Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default need a technique

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:24:25 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I now have a decent abrasive cutoff saw, cuts at 90 and 45 degrees. I want to
make a frame from 2" pipe, 45'ed at the corners. I'm trying to figure out a
clever way to ensure that when I cut the second end it winds up being parallel
to the first cut end. Probably doesn't matter that much, but I've found that
proper cutting seems to really help in controlling welding distortion, and I'd
really like this frame to be flat (i.e. planar).

Several ways to go about it but one of the better methods is to
attach a flat piece to the pipe in some manner (V block clamped, tack
a piece of flat iron, etc.) and use a level before clamping and making
each cut.