Loren Coe

Default Rant: Lawyers, OSHA & Attic Ladders

In article , Doug White wrote:
In article , Doug White wrote:
I just moved into a new home near Boston, and I need a set of pull-down
attic stairs. I had a really nice set installed about 10 years ago in my
old place, and have been trying for TWO MONTHS to find someone who would

have you found _any_ attic ladders? i have not looked for 15yrs, but
the ones i have installed/used are all wood and come only for 8' drop.

There are lots of US made ones. Ones with ratty 1/4" plywood doors, no
toe clearance, no insulation, & no weatherstriping. They are either made
of wood, weigh a lot (which them requires heavy springs to argue with),
or they are made of thin aluminum. All of them are rickety.

My old stairs were very easy to drop down, and were very sturdy. Going
up in the attic didn't feel like a risky proposition to be done in
emergencies. I kept lots of stuff up in the attic that I would access a
couple times a month. Doug White

i see your point, but why are you blaming the lawyers/osha? i cannot
get back to your op. --Loren