Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Musing about the disposal of tools 'beyond the grave'.

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article
,
Peter Hyde wrote:
I am about to retire with no male next of kin, end of the family line. I
am a woodworker of more than 45 years and so have accumulated a
collection of purely user grade tools, including lathes and turning
tools.

more than the "Norm" way of working with wood and all I can do is hope
that at my estate sale there will be someone looking for some user tools
and will not nail them to the rec. room wall!

You might wish to provide instructions to your executor about how to
find the old tools list (lathe fans - this is a mailing list, rather
than a newsgroup, dedicated to hand tool use & collection, which Peter
and I both frequent), and have a posthumous FMM posting to get them into
good hands...

========================
Hi,
Now that camcorders are available in most households, or one can be borrowed
from a friend, a visual inventory of all your machinery and hand tools, with
the description and your estimate of value right there. This can then be
burned to a CD or DVD for filing with your important papers. That way you
don't have to be worried about magnetic degradation over time. CD media
isn't permanent, but can be expected to outlast magnetic media by quite a
bit, so long as they're protected from excess heat. Or, if you're paranoid,
save a version in each media and store in separate locations. Either way,
your executor will have a sight and sound description of everything you have
(or had).

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.