Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

wrote in message
ps.com...

I daresay it more like ony about 10% think it is NOT a great idea.

I would like to think that... I have always thought it was a good idea but
typically the flavor is not for the SawStop. Initailly because it would
incourage carlessness. I never quite understood that reasoning. Personaly
I would never trust my fingers near a spinning saw blade even knowing that
there was better than a 99.99% chance that it would stop and not badly harm
me.

The personal reasons why we haven't all bought one include price,
objections to the 'marketing method' described elswhere in this
thread, and concern about false positives, e.g. tripping when not
necessary.

BUT...We still probably own and will continue to purchase American built
products won't we? Do we own American cars? For many years American cars
were expensive compared to many better built imports. American Marketing,
how about the High import taxes imposed on all imported automobiles so that
the American car builders would not have to lower their prices. American
built cars do not have that tax. False positives? Have we ever had a check
engine light come on and the dealer found nothing wrong and we still had to
pay a diagnostics charge? The problems that SawStop may be having with
some of their saws and their methods of bringing their product to market is
nothing new to many American manufacturing companies.

If it were cheap, works as advertized (which it may)
and was available from a variety of vendors there would be no
rational objections ot it, so only the irrational would object to
having one.

I cannot agree more. Its too bad that when SawStop initially approached
other manufacturers that the product was turned down.

The 10% who do NOT think it is a good idea are probably the same
guys who think fuses and circuit breakers are a bad idea and
probably save old bronze pennies to use in theirs.

Well I would not go so far as to say that but I suppose you are correct.
There are those that truly believe that an accident cannot happen to them
because they know every thing there is to know about saw safety and they
enforce those safety rules 24/7. I would certainly like to believe that
only 10% are against the SawStop because if SawStop continues to thrive the
other manufacturers will most certainly have to get on the band wagon to
satisfy the remaining 90% of us. Most likely with more manufacturers
offering this type safety feature the price of this technology will come
down.