Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gunner

Default Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw

On 27 Feb 2006 21:20:17 -0800, "Josh" wrote:

Frank Drackman wrote:
"mc" wrote in message
.. .
April 2006 Workbench has some information on cutting aluminum on a
tablesaw. They recommend using a regular carbide blade with a zero
clearance insert and also mounting the aluminum with double-sided tape to
sacrificial piece of hardboard, then usig a pushblock with a heal to push
the aluminum through the blade. Workbench April 2006, pp 34 ff.

Many thanks. I have a carefully built sliding cutoff table with
essentially zero clearance, and if whatever I'm cutting is so small that
my fingers would be close to the blade, I put a block of wood down on it
and hold it down with that.

Don't use dust collection when cutting metal.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Josh

Because you can set your dust collector on fire very unexpectedly. And
may burn very hot and very vigorously with that air flow stoking it
on.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3