Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Default Drilling hole in foam rubber?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Martin wrote:

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank.
It's
1" thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone
know
of type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut.
The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

Re the cork borer. That may be do the job. I remembered those from way
back and indicated earlier in this thread that a I would probably be
looking at a homemade version. Don't recall a 1" size in the sets I
used.
Do you know of a source? I've since tried the reversed hole saw that was
suggested, but lubricated or not it tore up the foam. I need a smooth
inside wall. The sharp edge like on the borer might do it. It'll need a
gentle touch.

I've used the reversed hole saw on several different foams and I've
never had it rip the stuff up. Maybe I'm not clear on the foam, but
the higher the density the better the reversed hole saw will usually
cut. It's standard plastics cutting procedure.

barbarow wrote:
Probably your best bet would be a "cork Borer" which is a set of hollow
tubes with a handle at one end and the bottom of the thin wall tube is
sharpened. You press down and rotate the tube with the handle to cut out
plug.

Thank you! I wasn't familiar with the cork boring tools. I have one
of the cork borer sharpeners and I never knew what it was used for!
The cork borer is a simple idea and I'm sure it would work well in the
foam rubber, but I did a quick search and I didn't see any in a 1"
size. I think it'll have to be a homemade item.

The rubber foam I'm working with is a very tough closed cell structure, not
like styrofoam, the common urethanes, vinyls and such.

I sectioned one using a new box cutter blade, about the sharpest blade you
can find these days. It was almost impossible to move it through smoothly
without lubrication. A soap solution was used and I got the smooth surface
I need. But with the hole saw it didn't keep the teeth from grabbing
despite reversing the rotation. So I will try to sharpen some 3/4 copper
pipe as I mentioned unless I can find a 1" cork borer.

You can see the texture at
http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?l..._PICT0309A.JPG