Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Default Gen. 810 honing guide

"AAvK" wrote:

Yeah... I think, with the way you've gone with that last set of text, you've
forgotten my point. It's the second paragraph set, my answer there.

I trust that in some context, that makes sense! g

Because of all the "other" kinds of business possibilities that exist now,
what I am yakking about wouldn't be a problem, anyone knows it. LN
is a smaller producer but they are distributing everywhere they possibly
can. It's a good example.

Yes, it is. They are distributing everywhere they possibly can, and
that is VERY limited distribution compared to mass-market products.
Heck, they aren't even in all the specialty woodworking stores (e.g.,
Rockler, Lee Valley), much less in high-volume outlets like the borgs,
Ace, True Value, Amazon, etc.

That means both General and Stanley could
do the same with their older and far better designs.

Sure they could, but why would they want to? If they can, through
their current distribution channels, sell a million of an item with a
$1 margin, why would they want to divert effort to a different
distribution channel to sell 1,000 items, even with a $5 margin? If I
were running general or stanley, I also would stick to my knitting and
let LN and LV have that market.

I'm just glad there are specialty manufacturers and specialty
retailers that recognize the potential in this small market and serve
it.

There is no reason
to fight to justify anything else.