Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Ken Smith

Default Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
Keith wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:15:26 +0000, Ken Smith wrote:

[....]
Thought by who? As I understand it, the Edmund Fitzgerald went into
shallow water in an attempt to avoid the worse of a storm. The waves plus
the draft of the boat was enough that it could have struck the bottom.
The bottom around there is rocky and lumpy.

Struck bottom in 530 feet of water? There is a guess that it had struck a
shoal earlier, causing bottom damage but no proof.

The "shoal strike" is what I was referring to. I'd heard that there was
evidence that the bottom had a hole in it.

[....]
The official report concluded that the spine didn't break until it hit
bottom (the fore and aft sections are too close together). The hatches
are quite suspect though. The reports are quite controversial though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

Its still a great song however.

Who you going to believe, some random person who wrote in wikipedia or
someone who has the song on CD?

forging knowledge