George

Default Best bargain in hand tools?

I hope that is an isolated incident and/or a counterfeit tool. I got my
Sandvik/Lindstrom/Bahco tools within the last five years and they are all
great. (Of course, one never knows how long the distributor may have had
them.)

"Roger Head" wrote in message
Not my experience, George, I'm sorry to say. I bought a pair of
Sandvik-Linstrom (? spelling) angle side-cutters for my 'travelling'
tool kit. They are junk. The jaws don't meet because they're further
apart at the front than at the rear, and furthermore the cutting edges
are ground on two slightly different planes. I put some time in to
correct all of this and found that they are made out of something one
step up from Chinese steel - it's terrible. My old Bahco pair (fiercely
protected, and only used for cutting small electronic component leads)
are over ten years old and are still like new - and I use them every day
of the year. If I could find another pair I'd snap them up instantly.

Roger

George wrote:

That is sad to hear...I bought most of my hand tools a few years ago and

was
surprised to see that most of the brands of tools that I liked were

owned by
the Cooper Group...I had no idea it was a recent acquisition and that
quality had suffered. At least that is NOT the case with the Sandvik

Group
tools.

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:21:24 -0400, "George"

wrote:

I just re-read your subject line and am not sure if what I posted is

what
you are looking for. I consider the best "bargain" in hand tools to be

the

one that will always work for you and that you'll never want to

replace.

that end, after Sandvik Group tools, my next choice of superior tools

are
those made by the Cooper Group.

While a number of the companies aquired by the Cooper Group
once made fine tools, not many seem to still do so after being
gobbled up by the conglomerate. The majority of their profits
seem to have been used by the conglomerate for further
acquisitions rather than being plowed back into the enterprises
to maintain quality standards.

Gary