Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Electricity Export Regulations

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:23:13 GMT someone who may be Tony Bryer
wrote this:-

The practical bit of this I don't understand is that someone I know who
worked in power generation said a long time ago about needing to get power
station generators up to exactly the right speed before connecting them
into the grid as if the frequencies weren't matched 'bad things' happened
- I don't remember the details.

All the alternators connected to the grid are synchronised so they
rotate together. If they did not then currents would flow between
them and the system collapse. If an unsynchronised alternator is
connected to the grid then the other alternators will effectively
force it to synchronise. If the newly connected alternator (and any
mechanical equipment connected to it) can synchronise quickly enough
there will just be some electrical disturbance. If it cannot
synchronise quickly enough it will suffer damage, probably severe in
nature.

DC links are used to join two unsynchronised grids.

So is this handled if you are generating
your own electricity via Microgen or PV panel and wanting to export it?

Electronics.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh