Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Leon
wrote:

So the tech would not be as good if it was mandated?

"Mandated" is not a word.

Mandate is a noun. Nouns do not have tenses.

What are you trying to say?

I think he's trying to say that it's required. Abd perhaps that he's
one of those individuals who doesn't like government telling him how to
live his life - at least that aspect of his life that concerns primarily
his own well-being.

I don't know what dictionary you checked but you have to check beyond
the main word entry...

man·date (măn'dÄ?t')
n.
An authoritative command or instruction.
A command or an authorization given by a political electorate to its
representative.

A commission from the League of Nations authorizing a member nation to
administer a territory.
A region under such administration.
Law.
An order issued by a superior court or an official to a lower court.
A contract by which one party agrees to perform services for another
without payment.
tr.v., -dat·ed, -dat·ing, -dates.
To assign (a colony or territory) to a specified nation under a mandate.
To make mandatory, as by law; decree or requi mandated desegregation
of public schools.

The above was off the internet. Just to be sure, I checked Webster's
New World Dictionary and they also list it as a transitive verb.

Then again, your main point is well taken. Akin to cutting off one's
nose to spite their face. I'm not aware of any law being broken in
attempting to create a market for one's product through legislation -
especially in matters of safety.

If anyone doubts this, simply look back at things like, oh, seatbelts,
motorcycle helmets, etc. Which came first? The product or the mandated
usage thereof?