Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

Pete C. wrote:
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Okay, I watched the video and all I could say was "WOW!". This saw is
probably fairly expensive. Besides, I have a nice one and am always
very careful.

http://www.sawstop.com/how-it-works-videos.htm

But it only takes one mistake to lose a finger. Click on the link and
watch the videos linked on the site. It's amazing. I have to ask - is
this for real or is this some kind of high tech joke?

Has anyone else seen this machine before?

Jack

Technologically it is interesting, however it has failed miserably from
a business perspective since the public doesn't want it.

I don't know about that. However, people have too much babying today.
If you stick your finger on the blade, you deserved to loose it. Take
your medecine like a man.

Further reason to not patronize the company is the fact that in their
desperation to recover the development costs for their failed product
they are attempting to get the government to require manufacturers to
license and incorporate their technology in new saws.

Sounds a lot like the insurance industry to me. They will have to
grease a lot of pockets to make that happen. Especially not that their
cards are on the table.

This of course is essentially trying to get the government to force
consumers to purchase the product. Not only should you not patronize a
company as unethical as the sawstop folks, you should actively oppose
their corrupt efforts.

Pete C.

Yea. And what a bonehead move. Patents only last so long...Anyway I
saw this years back and thought it was pretty cool. The guy deserves
some money for his invention, but none for any 'extortion' he may try in
the future :P

--
Thank you,