Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

Default Electricity Export Regulations

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:05:07 +0000 Ukdiyuser wrote :
The UK government certainly seem to be tentative about going all out to
support this technology, but they don't appear to be actively blocking
it either. Purchase of Micro-CHP boilers is now covered by 5% 'green
purchase' VAT, and the G83 grid connection standard now makes it easy to
connect small scale generator equipment like this in parallel with the
domestic supply. However one thing they've failed to do so far is to
provide any regulation for electricity export to the grid.

The new Part L Building Regulations and SAP-2005 explicitly cover them too
- I'm still trying to get my head round the equations.

The practical bit of this I don't understand is that someone I know who
worked in power generation said a long time ago about needing to get power
station generators up to exactly the right speed before connecting them
into the grid as if the frequencies weren't matched 'bad things' happened
- I don't remember the details. So is this handled if you are generating
your own electricity via Microgen or PV panel and wanting to export it?

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]