Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Gen. 810 honing guide

WHAT an awesome tool! This honing guide is seriously substantial and
huge compared to the newer plastic 809, one of which I cracked when
clamping a blade in it to be tight enough (I fixed it with epoxy and a small
wood screw). The 810 I got is the real long one, where the threaded post
is clamped from the back and not the top of it, and the steel body has a
"crook-down" toward where the blade is clamped, another design of metal
810 has a "straight-er" body, and I think it is shorter.

BTW if anyone has had a problem of the blade skewing on it's own, just
make sure it is clamped so that the side of the blade is against the in-side
of the slot's wall, left or right, maybe stick a hardwood shim in there on
the other side of the blade, and go gentler so the stone does the work.

I think it would be better for companies, that once they have a well made
tool designed and in production, don't cease it and flip crap at the public
for the sake of economy, just raise the damn price and keep it going. The
plastic 809 sells for $26.xx in stores, no doubt the same the older 810
sold for, but if the older 810 is worth at least $44.95 these days as new, I
would still buy it.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com