Posted to alt.home.repair
newfysnapshot

Default Drilling hole in foam rubber?

"Jeff" wrote in message
Maybe a dumb idea. Soak in water and freeze it, then drill with a spade
bit while the water is frozen.

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of
type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

About the easiest thing to do is take a one inch pipe and sharpen one end .
Press the pipe through the puck or pound it through using a rubber mallet
and a piece of wood. You could even drill a hole into the wooden block to
hold the pipe steady. The sharpened edge of the pipe will glide through the
puck easily.