Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Nunya Bidness

Default Musing about the disposal of tools 'beyond the grave'.

A most interesting and, for me, timely musing. I have a fairly large
collection like most of us- carpentry, turning, metalwork, machinist,
and general use junk tools. Some better than others, some maybe valuable
antiques, some just old tools.

A quick guess, but about 50% came from my father when he died. I don't
pick one of those up without having pop stand behind me and watch I
don't slice a finger, like when I first started. His old Kennedy chest
from a mechanic job before I was born now graces my (his/our) hobby and
fine-detail tools. I still use his Machinery's Handbook (c 1952), and
his micrometer. My brother has some of his other tools, and I'm sure has
the same feeling for these old friends we grew up with.

My son will get the Kennedy chest when he graduates Mechanic school. In
it will be his grandfther's micrometer, a 1952 edition of Machinery's
Handbook, a lignum vitae mallet also from his g'dad and an old wood and
brass folding rule.

We've had this discussion... one that was difficult for both of us
because no one likes to face his own mortality, and certainly not a
parent's mortality. My son's not much into woodworking. He prefers
welding and metal arts, but he wants the tools when it's his turn for them.

As he said during our talk about it... "I'm not that good at woodwork,
dad. I can use both of you watching out for my fingers"

Yeah, he's a bright one that kid, and I'm a very lucky father to have
someone who not only wants these things I hold important, but will use
them and treat them as they deserve. Tools going into yet another set of
good hands.

Thanks Arch, for the musing.