Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Drilling hole in foam rubber?

Martin wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick
and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit
or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and
step
bits just rip it up.

Have you tried using a 1" hole saw in reverse? Should work fine.

I think that reversed hole saw might work if sufficiently lubricated say
with soapy water; this foam has an awful drag. Problem is I don't have that
kind of equipment here. But it did put me in mind of another hole cutter:
the cork borer that used to be used in laboratories; basically a simple die
cutter that was worked by hand. I could probably make one from sharpened
3/4" copper pipe which would give me an OD of about 7/8", close enough for
my purpose.

You don't have a drill and a hole saw...

You don't need to lubricate foam rubber. The hole saw in reverse will
work, but feel free to make it as complicated of a process as you'd
like.