Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default Musing about the disposal of tools 'beyond the grave'.

In my experience, the best solution to this "problem" is available if the
deceased turner is a member of a club. There is usually a surviving friend
who can fairly price the tools, and see that they get into the hands of
people who will use and appreciate them. I have bought tools at what I
consider bargain prices at club-based estate sales--yet I think the estate
got more than it would have by having the stuff sold off as a lot to some
dealer.

Furthermore, there is a certain emotional value to the survivors in knowing
that the tools are in the hands of friends. And, I know that when I use a
tool that I obtained in this way, I think of the old friend from whom it
came.

Thanks for bringing this up, Arch. My eyes are a little watery right now.
You'll have to excuse me.