Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Rudy

Default Who's still making CRTs?

At about the time of 2/24/2006 10:10 AM, Buck Fusche stated the following:
"Dave D" wrote in message ...
"Buck Fusche" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for the info, although I was hoping to get specific manufacturer
info. I'm a pro photographer and often do color correction on digital
images, and I still haven't found an affordable LCD monitor that can
match my CRT's color gamut. I use one for color correction, and
have two others in reserve, just so I can outlast this LCD nonsense

Well, some of us are not pro photographers or into desk top publishing etc
:-) and for us, LCD monitors are great. Negligible radiation, little heat,
low power consumption, sharp, consistant image, small desktop footprint etc
etc. If it is 'nonsense' then how can the huge uptake of the technology be
explained? Condemning a technology on its lack of suitability for a niche
market is 'nonsense' IMO.

It's not the technology I'm condemning, and I agree that for many,
even most people LCDs are superior. But as long as CRTs offer
the advantages they do (flexible resolution, better gamut etc)
monitor manufacturers should give us a choice. The exact same
people who needed and bought 21 and 22" CRTs 5 and 10
years ago STILL NEED THEM for the SAME REASONS.

Agreed. I will not buy a LCD monitor for my computer system. As a
gamer, I prefer the CRT because you can't really play games on a LCD
monitor with any real level of quality. TI's DLP technology on the
other hand looks very good. Plasma screens look as good as a CRT too,
but I don't think that you can change the resolution on those either.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m

Why geeks like computers: look chat date touch grep make unzip
strip view finger mount fcsk more fcsk yes spray umount sleep