Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Default Tile over paper backing

You don't say what kind of tile you are putting back down. Most people
here think ceramic when you say just tile.

If its vinyl then the floor has to be absolutely smooth. You may be able to
put ceramic down, but we would need more info.

"lls8000" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning to tile a kitchen/dining room area. When I removed the
existing vinyl, it didn't come up clean. There is a layer of paper that
is firmly attached to the .25" plywood with gummy adhesive.
Any idea's on how to get the surface clean? Do I need to get down to
the plywood, or can I tile right over the remainder of this paper
backing? I have a few places where I'll be leveling the floor, but for
the most part, it's level and solid. Thanks, LLS