George

Default Best bargain in hand tools?

On pliers and cutters (at least smaller ones), if you want high quality it
is Sandvik #1 and Exact #2. These products may be smaller than what you
have in mind and are very popular for electronics work...also, jewelers like
them. If you want to cut #4 copper wire, don't even bother looking at the
Sandvik catalog.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:21:24 -0400, "George"

wrote:
I just re-read your subject line and am not sure if what I posted is

what
you are looking for. I consider the best "bargain" in hand tools to be

the
one that will always work for you and that you'll never want to

replace. To
that end, after Sandvik Group tools, my next choice of superior tools

are
those made by the Cooper Group.

While a number of the companies aquired by the Cooper Group
once made fine tools, not many seem to still do so after being
gobbled up by the conglomerate. The majority of their profits
seem to have been used by the conglomerate for further
acquisitions rather than being plowed back into the enterprises
to maintain quality standards.

Gary

Same experience here. I bought a pair of Diamond needle
nose pliers and the tips did not line up. I sent them back
to the manufacturer and they replaced them with a pair with
exactly the same problem. By looking at the new pair, it
was obvious the two halves were finish ground before
assembly. Probably fine for a pair of heavier pliers, but
no good with such a fine tip.

A hand picked $5 Chinese pair out of the bin at Sears are
much nicer. The worst pair in the bin of Chinese pliers was
better than the Diamond pliers.

Ned Simmons