Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Shower Tile Wall Collapse! Now what?!

On 23 Feb 2006 06:25:36 -0800, "WirelessNut"
wrote:

Check out my problem:

http://www.704westjoppa.com/ba1.gif
http://www.704westjoppa.com/ba2.gif

After losing my balance in the shower and putting my weight against the
left wall of the shower, the whole wall flexed. Uh oh. The tiles peeled
off the wall like stickers, and there was little left of the original
green board behind the tile, except, of course, for lots of nice black

Here's the current plan:

1. Replace insulation (studs seem to free from rot)
2.15lb roofing felt stapled over studs
3. 1/2" Durock backerboard
4. 6x6 ceramic tiles laid with thinset mortar

Drop a couple of mothballs in the wall cavities,
to keep the mold/mildew beat back after you seal
it up.

While you've got the wall open, let in a
backer-board for a real grab-bar,
so you don't have to worry about finding the
studs, later.

This is not a suggestion, it's a question:
Why roofing felt instead of plastic sheet,
under the backerboard?

--Goedjn