Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Shower Tile Wall Collapse! Now what?!

WirelessNut wrote:

Check out my problem:

http://www.704westjoppa.com/ba1.gif
http://www.704westjoppa.com/ba2.gif

After losing my balance in the shower and putting my weight against the
left wall of the shower, the whole wall flexed. Uh oh. The tiles peeled
off the wall like stickers, and there was little left of the original
green board behind the tile, except, of course, for lots of nice black
mold.

I've owned the house for just 10 months and this has been the biggest
of my surprises.

I obviously have to redo the entire shower: three walls surrounding the
tub plus the ceiling above the tub. I'm looking for suggestions as to
the combination of materials to be used here. Special considerations go
to the window (1-yr old full vinyl) since it is hit directly by the
shower spray (what were they thinking when they installed this here?!).
There is also a light in the shower ceiling.

SNIP

Leaving the tiling problems aside,

1) Any chance that the window could simply be eliminated?
It seems to defeat all the effort that will go into a new
tile job.

2) Give some thought to providing grab bars. Lay out a plan
for them. Then install suitable bracing between studs to
bolt them to.

If the soap dish had a built-in grab, get rid of it.

3) As long as the wall will be open, consider replacing the
3-handle tub control. If you're perfectly happy with it, OK.

Jim