Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default bamboo next to oak floor?

In article , Charles Spitzer says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
Bamboo is supposed to be several times harder than Maple which is why
more cutting boards are being made with it. With this in mind, I cannot
see how it would wear fast on floors because of it's toughness. The
main ingredient to keeping water separate from the wood is "finish".
The type of sealant and protective finish will work the same on either
floor .

huh? every cutting board i've seen uses maple, also because it has little to
no pores. bamboo is a grass, and is porous, so would be a poor choice for a
cutting board.

No he's right (at least about cutting boards; I haven't looked up anything about
hardness..)

I have both kinds - maple and bamboo. The bamboo one is newer and smaller, but
so far I haven't gotten the splitting I've gotten on my one of my newer maple
boards.

Banty