Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Electricity Export Regulations

On 22 Feb 2006 03:14:32 -0800, wrote:

yes, and too noisy and too much maintenance. These are exactly the
things one would expect from an engine running in the house for years
on end.

While the AC version is significantly noisier than a modern boiler,
careful siting or enclosure design can make this a non-issue. I've
slept within a few feet of a DC version (slightly quieter) on numerous
occasions and despite the total lack of added noise insulation its
never been a problem (some of the sleep was alcohol assisted though!)

I can only vouch for a couple of units I am immediately aware of (both
marine installed DC versions) but maintenance required for around 2500
hours of operation has been very minimal over the past 4 years,
certainly way less than any internal combustion generator on a similar
duty cycle and probably less than a typical gas fired central heating
boiler.

I still think a condensing boiler is a significantly better option for
the majority of households though.