Posted to uk.d-i-y
MatC

Default OT. From the People who brought you Milton Keynes.....

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"MatC" wrote in message
Thats a bit harsh..

Some of us like living in Milton Keynes....

The planners did a superb job. It is internationally recognised as a major
planning success story, and they are doing a major extension of the centre
too with tower cranes up. This goes against the original concept of low
rise. I used to go there a lot on business and grew fond of the place. I
love the grid road system and the roundabouts. 60 to 70mph everywhere.
The best road system in Europe. No houses are on the grid, just bushes
and trees. At the weekend it comes alive and buzzes. The greenest city I
have ever been to, full of lakes. I read that two or three SSIs are in
MK.

Last month I drove past the new stadium being built by Wimbledon. It
looks big.

MatC, only the ignorant dislike MK. You will find most who don't like it
have never been there, or just driven around the grid and you see nothing
from the grid except trees and bushes so think nothing is there. Those
who live there love it. Great design.

I whole heartedly agree,

My (late) Dad who used to work for MKDC (Milton Keynes Development
Corporation) used to say that the high rise buildings were completely
against the original design principles of Milton Keynes. It was always meant
to be a low rise, low impact town.
The new "Sky Diving" centre for example is quite hideous, however, there are
only one or two ugly things to detract from what really is a well designed
and pleasant town.
The grid roads work well, (Just stay away from Ikea), I for example can get
to work in 10mins, travelling from one side of town to the other.
People need to look inside the town, not just skim through and decide all
the roundabouts look the same.
The new stadium is big, not really sure what they'll do with it though, the
2000 or so MK Dons fans will be able to have an entire row of seats each,
although I'm sure it will make a fine venue for the weekly car boot sale.

Mat