Gunner

Default Clausing 8540 Horiz Mill info request

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:29:58 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:25:37 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:13:14 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Gunner - sent a reply to your message below here and another with more
indfo
to you directly in email. Did you see either?

My newsfeed isn't displaying my reply so I'm wondering if it got lost

and
suspect that the email may not be getting to you, especially if you

have
MSN
accounts blocked.

Nope..never got a thing

Try gunnerasch at myway dot com

and deepest gratitude for going to this extent to help.

OK - sent off a couple of files this morning to your "myway" account, so

you
should have them by now. Let me know if they never showed up and I'll
upload them to the drop box.

Oh way cool. The cover 122-125 is missing, and what Im seeing must be
the two pistons. There still is something in there though that keeps the
sliding half of that pulley from opening up completely. ..ie the belt
moving closer to the axle I think someone put a spacer over the bolt,
and thats thats keeping it from moving that last little bit.
. This really helped me a lot!

Many many thanks!

Glad to help. You probably don't need the cover, but it's only a couple of
bucks from Clausing. It's kind of odd how some parts seem dirt cheap and
others more than the whole tool is worth. FWIW, that manual page doesn't
show it, but there might well be (or supposed to be) a bushing or sleeve
that fits inside the sliding pulley. The hub on the stationary pulley fits
into this sleeve and I believe that Clausing recommends that the sleeve be
bored in-place to fit the hub. If you are going to disassemble the pulley
it would be a *real* *good* idea to check the condition of the
bushing/sleeve as well as the key and keyway. Probably be a good idea to
check them even if you don't plan to pull the pulley. Failure there will
create a major problem in short order.

BTW, it seems that at least some of the vari-speed parts are interchangeable
with the 5900-series lathe and many of the knee/table parts are
interchangeable with the 8530 vertical knee mill. Might come in handy if
you need parts for those two susbsytems or decide to part yours out.

This mill is far too minty to ever consider parting out, at least not
for another 50 yrs. Everything works absolutly perfectly with minimal
wear on anything. The only issue is getting below a certain rpm on the
varidrive, and Ill address this over the weekend.

The Hardinge TM mill that I scounged, will be picked up next week after
I weld my trailer back together, and that one will be a problem child,
as I so far have not been able to round up all the parts that were
removed by the owner, so it may wind up being parted out. I dont think
Ive ever seen a TM parts machine before, to get parts from. Shrug..and
this one is damned nice, but missing odd bits.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.