Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Default new light bulb question

SeaKan wrote:
I want to get one of those new energy efficient light bulbs. question: my
light only takes 60 watts or less. Does that mean I could get a bulb higher
than 60 watts if it is one of the new ones? it uses less wattage, much
lower than 60.

Funny you should ask today. I just called Feit Electric today with another
question. I suggest you call too, to make sure, but I got the impression that
you can use their 100 watt equivalent bulbs in 60 watt sockets just fine.
I've been using them outdoors (in lantern-type enclosures) for a couple of
years now; the fixtures are rated at 75 watts. Lots of light, no sign of
damage, 23 watts per bulb. They work fine at -1 F. They take one second to
come on (two when it's -1 F), and about two minutes to come to full brightness.

My question was whether they can be used in base-up applications, since it's
the base that gets hottest. They said it's fine anywhere the bulb is not
enclosed, i.e. in a fixture. But that's perfect for our garage, which has
just one porcelain socket mounted to the ceiling and no globes surrounding
it.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.