Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default Odd hub on shaft--removal advice.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:22:21 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

Got a 10 hp centrifugal blower, and am tryna get blade off the 1" dia motor
shaft
A picture is worth a thousand words, but I'll try to convey this succinctly.

The shaft is keyed, and on the shaft is a steel bushing, about 1 5/8 diam,
finely split.
Then, on this bushing is the hub of the centrifugal fan blade assembly.

But the interesting part is how this hub is affixed to the bushing.
Right on the diameter between the bushing and the hub are three 5/16
threaded holes, such that half the hole is threaded into the bushing, and
half into the hub (as you face the shaft).
A setscrew then locks the two together--I presume.
And presumably expands the split bushing onto both the shaft and the hub--I
think. Otherwise the bushing could slide off the shaft.

Mercifully, these setscrews came out pretty easily, but needless to say the
shaft/bushing/hub are still locked tight, and there does not seem to be any
place for a wheel/gear puller to grab.

So they are all Kroil-ing away right now.
Iny idears on how to pop this bushing/hub off the shaft? I can't get
between the motor and the back of the centrifugal blades w/o acetylene-ing
the blower housing off, for a wedge, etc. Altho if I must do this, I will.

Dodge "Taper-Lock" tapered bushing. One of the stranger versions of
the tapered pulley bushings to be sure but effective and they don't
take up any extra space. At any rate if you look carefully one or more
of the holes will have the threads on the bushing instead of the
pulley (cleanup may be needed to determine true threads verses
rust/crud imitation thread) and is used to help push the bushing out
of the taper. One clue is that half the hole will be blocked and the
other half threaded through. The setscrew pushes against the blind
half hole while pulling on the threads of the threaded half. Here's a
link to the instructions though they're not real clear.

http://www.dodge-pt.com/pdf/instruct...799/499737.pdf

Hint: Some careful tapping in the proper locations may be needed to
help the setscrew to push the pulley/etc. off the tapered bushing.