AL

Default Best bargain in hand tools?

Be careful of the Craftsman sets. Typically they'll contains lots of allen
wrenches and 1/4" and 3/8" sockets. They'll contain very few of the more
useful 1/2" sockets, and of the few they do contain, they'll have 12 points
instead of 6 points--a recipe for rounding off fasteners.

If you really must have Craftsman, you'll be better served, in my opinion,
buying individual tools rather than their giant sets.

"The Hurdy Gurdy Man" wrote in message

I know the issue of who makes the best hand tools has been rehashed many
times here in the past (generally consisting of a list of who makes better
stuff than Sears/Craftsman), but I'm wondering whose tools would provide

the
best bang for the buck. I ask because I just purchased a really nifty
rolling tool chest at Costco (I believe it's a 19 drawer unit, all ball
bearing supported, with drawer liners included and made entirely out of

304
stainless, definitely looks nice in the garage!) and want to fill it with
new tools. Can't go contaminating a new tool chest with old tools, right?
And seeing as I'm single, I don't have to justify my logic to anyone.

Craftsman has a 240-something piece tool set that looks like it'd be what

want, and the price doesn't seem so bad for what it is... around $300 or

so.
And for the types of things I do the Craftsman stuff would be sufficient
enough, even though I'd like something better... but price is definitely

an
issue. Craftsman quality aside, are there any other tool sets out there
that are a better value for the cost? I haven't been too pleased with the
Husky tools I've used, and the Stanley stuff I've used seems alright but

the
price never seems to be as good... oh sure, I'd love to plunk down the
change for a nice Snap-On or Mac or Matco or whatever set, but I just

can't
justify that. And short of doing a successful stint on Monster Garage, I
can't see a better value around. Does anyone have any other preferred

hand
tool vendors that I've overlooked? Something with a Craftsman-grade
warranty (or better), but with a suitable amount of quality for the price?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bryan