Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default old Shopsmith resellability (was, " Grizzly tools Good or notso good?")

RoyJ wrote:
Stuff like a Shopsmith goes quickly on www.craigslist.com Actually, it
goes aggrevatingly fast. If you don't get a call or e-mail to the seller
within the first hour or two, you are usually too late for anything of
value.

Now Roy exactly what are you basing this on? In my area old Shopsmiths sit
around on craigslist for a long long time, in fact back when I was collecting
10ER parts I used to let them "cure" for about 3 weeks and then go talk to the
then-discouraged sellers and offer them $60. It worked 5 out of 5 times, then I
got real tired of trying to sell the stuff and basically had a giveaway sale
myself, keeping only one *really* fully tooled machine.

GWE

greybeard wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul,
From what I have seen
at auctions, Asian tools like Grizzly bring almost nothing when resold.

On ebay this might be true, but what I've seen is that the used asian
machines bring just about the same as used american iron, IF they're
just advertised with a fair price on them and the seller is up front
about the machine. Try to sell it for what it isn't and there aren't
many buyers stupid enough to swallow your line. I've picked up old US
made drill presses from the scrapyard for little to nothing, but have
yet to see one of the asian machines come in.

On the flip side, I've got an older Shopsmith in beautiful condition
that I've got $200 in, and it looks like I'm going to sit on that
until I die, $200 is what I have to get for it, and I'm not coming
down. If it doesn't find a new home by the end of summer, one piece
at a time it'll go to the scrapyard.

Rich