Posted to uk.d-i-y
ukdiyuser

Default Electricity Export Regulations

Just got the following from Powergen, after requesting some further
information...

Thank you for your recent interest in the WhisperGen micro Combined Heat and
Power unit (micro CHP)
Given the high volume of interest in the WhisperGen we have decided to put
all further orders on hold until January 2007.

So much for the Powergen option. I guess that explains why I've had no
reply from them as yet to my queries about their Whispergen service.
All the more reason to explore the DIY route.

I spoke to someone else today, and it would appear I am wrong in that
very small generation "is" allowed, but that the "export" is not
accounted for (due to the expense of metering) other than by offering
a small discount based on x number of unit(s) per day.

Oh well, at worst, even if I get no compensation for exporting, I
calculate I should still be saving around £100 a year on the electricity
I can use as I generate it. Plus all the electricity I generate,
whether being used directly by me or being exported to my neighbours, is
environmentally friendly compared to getting it from a power station.

You might also consider the information from Good Energy at
http://www.good-energy.co.uk/home/33_generation.html and ask them if
they are interested in Micro CHP as part of their scheme. I have no
idea whether they are or not.

Interesting idea. I don't think they would regard m-chp as a 'renewable
generator' as I'm still burning gas to create the electricity, but it's
the next best thing so I'll fire off an email to them.

Time to test the water with my electricity supplier as well.